java.lang.management.RuntimeMXBean not module aware

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Tue Mar 7 17:56:08 UTC 2017

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 12:32 AM, Volker Simonis <volker.simonis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> java.lang.management.RuntimeMXBean offers methods like getClassPath(),
> getLibraryPath() and even getBootClassPath() if
> isBootClassPathSupported() returns true. While
> isBootClassPathSupported() has been changed in jdk9 to always return
> false (although the VM still supports -Xbootclasspath/a) no additional
> methods have been added to RuntimeMXBean to query the new module path.
>
> Is this intentional? I think RuntimeMXBean should contain at least a
> new method getModulePath() wich returns the VMs module path. Looking
> at the latest spec [1] I couldn't find such an addition. Will this be
> added in the final version or are there some reasons against having
> getModulePath() in RuntimeMXBean?
>
> Exposing further information trough RuntimeMXBean like the one
> provided by the --upgrade-module-path, --add-modules, --limit-modules,
> --list-modules could be interesting/useful as well.

I file https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8176314 to track this and I agree that certain modular runtime information such as the module graph would be useful for a management tool to monitor.  As Alan mentions, RuntimeMXBean::getInputArguments and getSystemProperties could be used to get the module path, upgrade module path, etc in the time being.

Mandy