Instrumentation.redefineModule -- extraPackages argument?

Jochen Theodorou blackdrag at gmx.org
Sat Mar 11 10:50:53 UTC 2017

On 11.03.2017 10:51, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 10/03/2017 16:12, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> :
>>
>> It might not be the most common scenario, but creating new packages
>> during
>> development is definitely not uncommon, and from my experience with
>> JRebel
>> and our customers, I can also say that we do see these kind of changes.
>> So, if the JVM can automatically do it for unnamed modules, why is
>> this not
>> a supported redefinition for (named) modules?
>>
> If a module is in development or is being significantly refactored to
> add/move code to non-exported packages then it really needs to be
> re-loaded (in this design then this means re-instantiating a new module
> layer, not specific modules).

reloading means the classes will be loaded into a new classloader? Don´t
you think that is overkill for just adding a class in a not yet existing
package - something that was very easy before? I guess you could always
load the new class in the new package into dynamically created layer.
But frankly, that is a new class loader, that requires you setting
relations between layers and all that. That will backfire. Does JDK9
even have no notion of removing a layer and garbage collection on it?

bye Jochen