jlink - Adding module at execution time

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Mon Mar 13 00:07:16 UTC 2017

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 2:52 PM, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/03/2017 21:20, Gunnar Morling wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've created a custom runtime image using jlink and would like to add
>> an additional module at execution time which should be the module with
>> the main class.
>>
>> But that additional module is not found when running
>>
>>     <IMAGE>/bin/java
>>         --module-path path/to/additional-module
>>         --module com.example.additionalmodule

Is the module name “additional-module” missing in -—module option? I expect it be:
  --module additional-module/com.example.additionalmodule

It works for me:

$ image/bin/java --list-modules
WARNING: Module name "m2" may soon be illegal
java.base at 9-ea
m2

$ image/bin/java --module-path modules/mods -m m1/p.Hi

>> Then I stumbled upon the --upgrade-module-path option. So I thought I
>> could add my module to the image at link time and then override it
>> with a newer version at runtime. But it keeps using the original one.
> I'm surprised by that because the search order is:
>
>   [--upgrade-module-path] <system> [--module-path]
>
> which <system> is the run-time image. So while --upgrade-module-path is intended for deploying new versions of "upgradeable modules" then I would expect that it would work here.

This should work too.

Mandy