Better tools for adjusting to strong encapsulation

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Mar 21 18:04:07 UTC 2017

Lest folks think they can now sit back and relax until JDK 10,
I'd like to point out that there are some cases where what has
happened in 9 is that a very small number of old deprecated
and non-standard APIs have actually been removed, and some
small number of APIs adjusted in behaviour.
Whilst these changes are generally tangential to the module system,
its advent made it necessary to determine what was supported and standard.

No "kill switch" will bring those back, so affected apps will
still need to migrate for JDK 9.

The JDK 9 migration guide should cover the specifics of these APIs.

-phil.