Review Request: JDK-8173303: Add module-subgraph images to main platform documentation

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sat Mar 25 09:36:05 UTC 2017

On 24/03/2017 21:50, Mandy Chung wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I took another round of edits on the module descriptions:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk9/webrevs/8173303/webrev.01/
>
> Once we have the unified docs, it will make it easier to review
> the module summary page for all modules where we will revise
> these module descriptions again.

I went through the updated module descriptions.

Two more that seem to be missing "the" are jdk.net and jdk.sctp, I think
they will read okay once that is added.

jdk.httpserver currently has "Defines the JDK-specific API for HTTP
server", it might be better to re-shuffle this to "Defines the API for
the JDK-specific HTTP server".

I think the only one that needs re-examination is jdk.charsets. The
java.base module contains the standard charsets and all other charsets
needed to start the runtime on any of the supported configurations. It
thus varies by platform with jdk.charsets providing the charsets that
aren't in java.base. Finding the right description is difficult, maybe
we should start with "Charset provider for the charsets that are not in
java.base (mostly double byte and IBM charsets". I could imagine linking
this to the "Supported encodings" docs page in time.

Everything else looks good.