How to become a "cooperative troubleshooting tool"?

Gregg Wonderly greggwon at cox.net
Thu Mar 30 20:04:02 UTC 2017

There has been some discussion on this list which I have never been satisfied with around why the SecurityManager was not used for a large number of the things that are being done with literal JVM changes.  Mark Reinhold and others, I believe, don’t know how to use the SecurityManager, or believe that it’s not sufficient for security, even though it has Security in its name.

If the JVM is already compromised in security, even with a SecurityManager in place, it would be nice for Oracle to announce this and provide a solution.  What seems interesting to me, is that the whole Jigsaw effort has been focused only on what the JDK needs for encapsulation and isolation, not on what the general Java community needs.   They rolled this up, over time, with casual involvement of some community members and are on the home stretch, it seems, to subject all kinds of people to all kinds of pain and broken applications as soon as JDK-9 is released and people start mindlessly upgrading.

This version of Java is breaking all kinds of software in all kinds of ways.  My personal opinion is that this is really not an answer to much of anything.  The security solutions are not real.  You can still edit Jar files.  You can still recast code with various tooling to provide access to exactly the APIs that they are trying to keep you from using.  As long as there is JNI, there is a way into the JVM with native code to do anything.  As long as there is no SecurityManager active, any jar can include as many native JNI code fragments as needed to access as much of the native computer environment as the developer desires.

All of the things that they are attempting here are blind attempts at confining access to software services in the JDK while there is really no way to do that.

Gregg