OpenJDK 10 and Oracle JDK10 doesn't have the same default modules

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sun Feb 4 20:24:11 UTC 2018

On 04/02/2018 14:58, Christian Stein wrote:
> :
>
> It's module ' jdk.deploy' in Oracle JDK:
>
>     [...]
>     jdk.deploy requires java.scripting jrt:/java.scripting
>     [...]
>
> https://travis-ci.org/sormuras/beautiful_logger/jobs/337219688#L660
>

> OpenJDK does not ... deploy that one:
> https://travis-ci.org/sormuras/beautiful_logger/jobs/337219689#L587

jdk.deploy is a supporting module for the Java Plugin and Java Web Start
so this is why it's not in OpenJDK builds. The jdk.deploy module is
being resolved because includes a security provider (`provides
java.security.Provider with ...`) and java.base `uses
java.security.Provider`.

I see your other mail where you have found a workaround for this
specific issue. The more general issue is of course that you are
deploying a module that does not know what modules it depends. In these
cases you have to help the module system by specifying --add-modules to
force the modules that it depends on to be resolved. You got lucky with
the Oracle JDK build because jdk.deploy pulled in the java.scripting module.