Accessing dependency version information

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Mon Feb 12 14:52:12 UTC 2018

 Hi!

I think recording module version information is a really
underappreciated feature in Java 9+. The module's own version shows up
in many places, which I like. I think it could be added to `java
--show-module-resolution`, too.

It is much harder to access the versions of the dependencies against
which a module was compiled. I thought I'd like it when it showed up in
`jar --describe-module`, but I can see why "requires org.lib at 1.2" is too
easy to misinterpret.

Maybe another way could be found to make this information available on
the command line (i.e. without having to use `ModuleDeclaration`).

 so long ... Nicolai

--

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx