RFR: 8214796: Create a jlink plugin for stripping debug info symbols from native libraries

Severin Gehwolf sgehwolf at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 11:01:31 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-02-26 at 09:46 +0000, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 25/02/2019 22:26, Mandy Chung wrote:
> > Adding the "-files" suffix sounds good to me.  I'm okay
> > with omit-debuginfo-files or exclude-debuginfo-files.
> >
> > One comment though this is a plugin option name rather than
> > a plugin name (so not necessarily to consider consistency
> > with plugin names).
> >
> True although one of those existing plugin options is --exclude-files
> which which can be used to do the equivalent of exclude-debuginfo-files.
> So I think it's mildly better to have these consistent if we can.

--list-plugins output for --strip-native-debug-symbols:

Plugin Name: strip-native-debug-symbols
Option: --strip-native-debug-symbols=<exclude-debuginfo-files|keep-debuginfo-files>
 This plugin requires at least one option:
   objcopy: The path to the objcopy binary. Defaults to objcopy in PATH.
   exclude-debuginfo-files: Omit debug info files. Defaults to true.
                                 Defaults to <file>.debuginfo
 Examples: --strip-native-debug-symbols objcopy=/usr/bin/objcopy
           --strip-native-debug-symbols=exclude-debuginfo-files
           --strip-native-debug-symbols keep-debuginfo-files:objcopy=objcopy

Latest webrev which implements this:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sgehwolf/webrevs/JDK-8214796/08/webrev/

CSR for the new jlink option:

Severin