RFR: 8185525: [Event Request] Add Tracing event for DictionarySizes

Erik Gahlin erik.gahlin at oracle.com
Wed Apr 3 17:44:47 UTC 2019

Hi Gerard,

Here are some comments about the metadata (to make it consistent with
other events).

The events should not be in the "Java Application" category since they
are JVM events. You could perhaps put them in "Java Virtual Machine,
Runtime, Tables". Some comments about the names and labels of fields.

- Label: Number of buckets => Bucket Count
- Label: Number of entries => Entry Count
- Label: Total footprint => Total Footprint

Could you remove descriptions that are exactly the same as the label.

- Label: Maximum bucket size => Maximum Bucket Size
- Label: Average bucket size => Average Bucket Size
- Label: Variance of bucket  size => Bucket Size Variance
- Name: stdDevOfBucketSize => bucketSizeStandardDeviation
- Label: Standard deviation of bucket size => Bucket Size Standard
Deviation"

Instead of using the word "size", it may make more sense to use the word
"count" here as well, i.e "Average Bucket Count", or maybe I'm missing
something? Is there a difference?

I wonder how useful standard deviation and variance is? If support
engineers are looking at a recording, or JMC adds a rule for the events,
what would a good or bad value be? Is it possible to use the information
for troubleshooting?

- Name: addRate => insertionRate
- Label: Rate of addition =>  Insertation Rate
- Name: removeRate => removalRate
- Label: Rate of removal => Removal Rate

I'm missing unit tests for the events. Could you please add in
/test/jdk/jdk/jfr/event/runtime. They can be sanity tests. i.e the
average not exceeding max, no negative values etc.

Thanks!
Erik