[jmm-dev] avoiding thin-air via an operational out-of-order semantics construction

Peter Sewell Peter.Sewell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 13:55:32 UTC 2014

On 31 March 2014 21:03, Paul E. McKenney <paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 02:01:27PM +0100, Peter Sewell wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> building on the summary of the thin-air problem that we sent around
>> earlier (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/cpp/notes42.html, Mark
>> Batty+Peter Sewell),  we've sketched a semantics that gives the
>> desired non-thin-air behaviour for at least some examples, for
>> C11-style relaxed atomics / Linux-C ACCESS_ONCE accesses / Java
>> volatiles.   At present it only covers reorderings, not eliminations
>> and introductions, though we think it can probably be extended to
>> those.
>>
>> The basic idea is to assume that compilers do not do inter-thread
>> value range optimisations, using that to let us construct a
>> thread-local out-of-order operational semantics out of a conventional
>> thread-local (value-passing) labelled transition system. We then
>> combine the resulting thread semantics with an operational
>> non-multi-copy-atomic storage subsystem, as in our PLDI11 Power model,
>> to be sound w.r.t. Power and ARM hardware.  The result is (we think)
>> attractively simple to understand.   The big question is whether that
>> assumption is reasonable (or can be made so),  and we'd welcome
>> thoughts on that.
>>
>> The semantics is described here:
>>
>> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/cpp/notes44.html  (Jean Pichon + Peter Sewell)
>>
>> (we've also got a formal version in Lem and a command-line prototype
>> tool for exploring it).
>>
>> Comments would be very welcome
>
> I like the restriction that a given action can be hoisted ahead of
> conditionals only if that action is performed in all cases, and if there
> are no preceding fences or preceding actions to the same location as
> the action in question.

> I take it that the need to exclude value-range
> analysis is also behind your discomfort with Linus Torvalds's and Torvald
> Riegel's recent proposal for dependency ordering.

I've not got that swapped in right now, but I think it suffered from
different issues.  I'm perfectly fine with excluding value-range
analysis so long
as compiler folk can be persuaded to.

> On status of variables, some ways of approximating the different sets:
>
> o       Auto variables whose address is never taken are local.
>         (Yes, you could infer one auto variable's address from
>         one of its counterparts, but when you do that you are
>         taking your program's life into your hands anyway!)
>
> o       Variables marked __thread whose addresses are not taken
>         are local.  The Linux kernel has a similar notion of
>         per-CPU variables.
>
> o       Memory just allocated is private until an address is
>         published somewhere.
>
> All that aside, I don't know of any way to tell the compiler that a
> given location that was previously public has now been privatized
> (such privatization is common in RCU code).
>
> On memory action elimination and introduction, when you say (for example)
> read-after-write, how long after the write?
> I am guessing that if
> there is a fence or a RMW atomic between the read and the write, the
> read cannot be eliminated.

We'd have to think (in the little language that Jean and I have worked
out some details, there are no RMWs).

> One simples example that would be broken by
> overly energetic read-after-write elimination is the queued spinlock,
> which initialized its queue element, then spins waiting for the lock
> holder to change the value.

One might perhaps want to distinguish between eliminating finitely
many occurrences of a read and eliminating all of them.

>  (But you could reasonably argue that such
> uses should have volatile semantics.)
>
> On non-atomics, you lost me on the "if there is a data race on non-atomics
> performed out-of-order, then there is one with non-atomics performed
> in order".  This might be because I am assuming that non-out-of-order
> non-atomics might benefit from hardware control dependencies, and perhaps
> you are excluding those.

I think so - our semantics doesn't explicitly know about h/w control
dependency preservation.

thanks,
peter