[jmm-dev] Jmm revision status

Hans Boehm boehm at acm.org
Thu Jul 17 22:57:20 UTC 2014

A few other updates:  Brian and I had a paper in MSPC 14 (
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2618134) that mostly summarizes the
out-of-thin-air issues and solutions based on prohibiting store->load
reordering.  I would argue that those are still the most practical
solutions we currently have.

One of my colleagues at Google points out that my earlier fear that bogus
branches needed to enforce load->store ordering would tie up branch
prediction resources should be unfounded.  It should be easy to arrange for
these branches to be statically predicted correctly, in which case it
appears that no prediction resources are used.

I think we still need real measurements of the cost, which, at least for
Java, I would expect to greatly depend on the cleverness of the compiler in
delaying branches and avoiding unnecessary ones.

Torvald Riegel and Paul McKenney are trying to turn C++11/C11
memory_order_consume into something useful, and have been running into some
of the same problems with definition of dependencies as we have here.

Although at most marginally relevant for Java, we also became aware of an
ARM erratum (
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.uan0004a/UAN0004A_a9_read_read.pdf,
perhaps discovered by some of the other participants here?), that seems to
effectively reduce the cost of prohibiting load->store reordering on ARMv7
for C++ memory_order_relaxed to zero.  Apparently a substantial fraction of
ARMv7 cores have a hardware erratum that requires a fence for
memory_order_relaxed loads anyway.  Otherwise loads from the same location
may be reordered, which is disallowed for C++ memory_order_relaxed, but
allowed for Java.  Thus any object code that is intended to correctly
support memory_order_relaxed on these processors should already prohibit
load->store reordering as a side-effect.  For C and C++, I expect that
realistically applies to all 32-bit ARM code.  Unfortunately, the required
workaround seems appreciably more expensive than what we would need to just
enforce load->store ordering, since it needs an actual fence.

As mentioned, this does not directly change the Java situation.  It also
does not affect 64-bit executables intended to run on ARMv8.

Hans