[jmm-dev] Jmm revision status

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Fri Jul 18 15:38:57 UTC 2014

On 07/17/2014 06:57 PM, Hans Boehm wrote:
> A few other updates:  Brian and I had a paper in MSPC 14
> (http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2618134) that mostly summarizes the
> out-of-thin-air issues and solutions based on prohibiting store->load
> reordering.  I would argue that those are still the most practical solutions we
> currently have.

Has anyone thought through a rule that amounts to requiring
compilers preserve them (as in your section 6), but treating
those relaxed/non-atomic cases  where Arm/Power don't honor
them as just the usual benign weirdness? Are there any
cases where the consequences are any worse than other cases
that we claim are benign? I think that some of Viktor et al's
variants come close to this.

-Doug