[jmm-dev] Jmm revision status

Peter Sewell Peter.Sewell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 19 07:30:31 UTC 2014

On 18 July 2014 07:19, Hans Boehm <boehm at acm.org> wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Peter Sewell <Peter.Sewell at cl.cam.ac.uk>
>> wrote:

>> > Agreed for the last point.  For C I'm a bit skeptical; for Java I
>> > wouldn't like to even guess.
>
> For C, if we look only at existing implementations, it seems that the only
> cost is prohibiting some compiler transformations on relaxed operations, and
> the cost on 64-bit ARMv8.  The former seems trivial; I suspect most
> compilers don't reorder atomic accesses anyway.

For the optimisation cost, I think Francesco et al. are starting to
see optimisations involving atomics, but I agree that for relaxed
there shouldn't (in principle) be much cost from forbidding them.

> For Java, I agree.

>> > There's also a bit of a question right now about "fake" data and
>> > control dependency preservation on ARM; hopefully that will become
>> > clear soon.
>>
>> > Although at most marginally relevant for Java, we also became aware of
>> > an
>> > ARM erratum
>> >
>> > (http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.uan0004a/UAN0004A_a9_read_read.pdf,
>> > perhaps discovered by some of the other participants here?)
>>
>> (y)
>>
>> >, that seems to
>> > effectively reduce the cost of prohibiting load->store reordering on
>> > ARMv7
>> > for C++ memory_order_relaxed to zero.  Apparently a substantial fraction
>> > of
>> > ARMv7 cores have a hardware erratum that requires a fence for
>> > memory_order_relaxed loads anyway.  Otherwise loads from the same
>> > location
>> > may be reordered, which is disallowed for C++ memory_order_relaxed, but
>> > allowed for Java.  Thus any object code that is intended to correctly
>> > support memory_order_relaxed on these processors should already prohibit
>> > load->store reordering as a side-effect.  For C and C++, I expect that
>> > realistically applies to all 32-bit ARM code.  Unfortunately, the
>> > required
>> > workaround seems appreciably more expensive than what we would need to
>> > just
>> > enforce load->store ordering, since it needs an actual fence.
>>
>> I do wonder how widely that workaround is actually deployed - any data?
>

> I suspect it's not.  But I think our task is to look at performance in a
> currently hypothetical world where implementations are actually correct in
> this respect, and where we no longer see random memory-model induced
> failures and attribute them to alpha particles, or whatever.

yes, but we also need a reasonable path towards that world.  If ARM
compiler implementations are not going to take the cost of that
workaround (eg because the coherence problem is sufficiently rare in
practice - btw, amusingly, it seemed as if compiler optimisations like
CSE might actually ameliorate the problem), then it still becomes
difficult to argue that they should add load->store fencing for
C-relaxed or Java-nonvolatile reads.