[jmm-dev] avoiding thin-air via an operational out-of-order semantics construction

Alan Jeffrey ajeffrey at bell-labs.com
Mon Mar 31 20:00:31 UTC 2014

Oh cool!

At first sight, there looks like this semantics and the Mazurkeiwicz
trace semantics are pretty close. In particular, both support the
rewrite (under appropriate restrictions of a and b_i):

   sum_i b_i . a . P_i  ==  a . sum_i b_i . P_i

though they do it by different means.

The derived LTS semantics does it by first constructing the "usual" sum,
then allows the a action to happen because all branches of the sum can
perform a, and so the derived LTS can peform an a action and arrive in a
state where the a has been checked in each branch. (At least that's my
understanding of what's going on.)

The MT semantics does it by defining prefixed sum as:

   sum_i b_i . P_i
     = { s | forall i . s in P_i }
   cup { s.b_i.t | (forall i . s in P_i) and (exists i . s.t in P_i) }

They're certainly looking very similar, whether one could formalize
these similarities is another matter...

It looks to me that there's two styles of possible semantics, ones (like
the derived LTS and MT approaches, and I dare say there are more) that
don't support executions like TC1 and ones (like the current JMM and the
Event Structures semantics) which do. The difference is whether a
speculative write is allowed only when all branches perform the write,
or whether it is allowed under more liberal situations (in both JMM and
ES, based on an inductive argument which may involve conflicting events).

A.