[jmm-dev] Store completion query - general and ARM

Peter Sewell Peter.Sewell at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 10 09:54:00 UTC 2016

If you want a more rigorous and concrete model that explains this, you
might want to look at:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/popl16-armv8/top.pdf

The associated tool: www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/AArch64/
lets one run arbitrary model-allowed executions of tests:
- select AArch64 test Tutorial/SB+dmb.sys
- under Options, select "a larger set of transitions which we proved can be
taken eagerly"
- click Run, then it shows the initial state of the model with the initial
transitions highlighted in green
- take all the thread-local transitions of each thread (five each)
- now you can see each thread's write, dmb, and read request in the
"flowing model" abstract storage subsystem
- in this model, the dmb sys keeps the write and read request in order as
they flow down to memory, so no interleaving of the possible model
transitions can break the Dekker's algorithm property.

In this example, it happens that the read requests also can't be satisfied
from writes that haven't hit main memory, but in general they can be
satisfied earlier.

For contrast, if you try the SB test without dmb, you'll many more possible
executions.

This flowing model is actually a bit more microarchitectural than one would
like for an architectural spec, as it exposes the abstract interconnect
topology.  The POP model, also provided by that tool, abstracts from the
topology.  Both are principally due to Shaked Flur, cc'd.

best,
Peter