JPMS (JSR 376) EG video conference: Thursday 18 May, 15:00 UTC

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Wed May 17 18:18:50 UTC 2017

2017/5/17 7:03:01 -0700, david.lloyd at redhat.com:
> On 05/16/2017 09:45 PM, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
>>
>> In order to preserve the integrity of our discussions, these meetings
>> should be the sole channel for EG communication once they begin.  The
>> jpms-spec-experts list will therefore be closed except for the posting
>> of the minutes of each meeting and for updates to the issue list and
>> the draft Specification as may be agreed during these meetings.  All EG
>> members will be asked to refrain from posting to other public fora such
>> as, e.g., the jigsaw-dev list, until this series of meetings is over.
>
> I do not think this is necessary, helpful, or even possible.  For
> various reasons, not the least of which is the fundamental obligation of
> EG and EC members to do so, Red Hat continuously engages with our
> community and customers on this and many other issues, sometimes in
> public, and must continue to do so.  In addition, public communications
> are essential for researching the kinds of technical issues we face,
> which will no doubt be necessary as these meetings progress.  EG members
> must have the latitude to perform such research and solicit opinions,
> ideas, and feedback from the community.

As I wrote in my reply to Tim nearby, my request that EG members refrain
from participating in public fora is in response to the suggestion made
by some JCP EC members that direct discussions amongst EG members will
be more productive than indirect discussions via public e-mail messages,
articles, and blog entries.  EG members are of course free to discuss
JPMS and Java SE 9 issues as needed on a private basis with colleagues,
users, and customers, and to discuss unrelated topics publicly.

If you cannot agree to this request then as an alternative, and if
everyone else who wants to participate agrees, we could hold a single
marathon meeting starting at 15:00 UTC any day this week or next.

What is your preference?

- Mark