JTreg spawns java processes and uses all memory with CONCURRENCY=auto

Tomasz Kowalczewski tomasz.kowalczewski at gmail.com
Mon May 20 13:59:48 PDT 2013

Hello,

during a recent "Adopt OpenJDK" event held in Krakow I was using jtreg for
running OpenJDK test cases. It was set up as per instructions published
here: https://java.net/projects/adoptopenjdk/pages/InstallJtreg

OpenJDK repository was cloned from http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/tl and
jtreg version was jtreg-4.1-bin-b05_29_nov_2012.zip

I have set 'CONCURRENCY=auto' environment variable.

When running a test suite (.e.g.: 'cd jdk8_tl/test; make jdk_util') jtreg
spawns a lot of java processes and it seems not to stop. Ever. It uses all
8 GB of RAM on my machine at which point Windows starts killing random
processes.

With 'CONCURRENCY=1' jtreg will spawn only a few java processes and will
happily run all the test.

What is the behavior for 'CONCURRENCY=auto'? Which value is used as
default? Maybe it is not a bug its just that OpenJDK tests should be run on
a big server machine with lots of RAM?

Any suggestions or pointers to documentation will be very appreciated.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Kowalczewski