updating TestNG and JUnit for jtreg

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Wed May 4 21:16:20 UTC 2016

On 05/04/2016 01:49 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Thanks!  I was able to successfully build jtreg4.2-b02.
>
> One thing I keep stumbling over is the need to update BUILD_NUMBER in
> my scripts that build jtreg.
> The makefiles have BUILD_NUMBER = b00, but that has to be overridden
> at make time or the jtreg version check will fail later.  It's a nice
> service to your users to update BUILD_NUMBER in the source code before
> creating the hg release tag (or abandon build numbers entirely).
> (OTOH, other openjdk builds have the same problem)

Good suggestion to update the BUILD_NUMBER.

For my part, it works to use b00 in my dev work, and that bypasses
the version check, but I agree that is not desirable for general usage.

The question is, when should the number be updated, and what should
the build number show as, when building an otherwise untagged tip
of the jtreg repo?

For the cloudbees set up, I was suggesting to use a build number
derived from the latest jtreg tag (for a tagged build) or b00 for a
build of tip.   I'm open to other general suggestions for good
practice, here.

-- Jon