jshell tool: what should the interactive output look like?

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Tue Jan 26 11:39:11 UTC 2016

> On 26 Jan 2016, at 02:43, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 25, 2016, at 10:01 AM, Dan Smith <daniel.smith at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> '$exp3' rather than '$3', for example
>
> …Or '$int3' or '$i3', some sort of type-based name generation like decompilers use.

From a user perspective i don’t care if the temporary variable produced is a result of a complex or simple expression, nor really about it’s type so much it should be expressed in the name.

i just wanna use it, thus consistency trumps the kinds of expression and what they return. That’s my experience from using REPLs.

I would prefer to see something like:

-> Math.sqrt(Math.PI)
| double $3 = 1.7724538509055159

-> Arrays.asList("Hello", "World!", "How", "Are", "You").stream()
| Stream<String> $11 = java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head at 5f5a92bb

The ‘$’ implies a temporary variable, is it really necessary to call this out?

Paul.