Comments on the straw man...

Joshua Bloch jjb at google.com
Wed Dec 16 13:20:07 PST 2009

Mikael,

Hi.  I have a different perspective on this.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Mikael Grev <grev at miginfocom.com> wrote:

>  if you are 100% confident that you can get unification around a new
> proposal, implement and test it in time for Java 7 then that's fine. I just
> find it pretty risky.

I'm not worried about the risk of missing Java 7. I'm much more worried
about harming the platform by putting in something that we later regret. If
we can come to consensus and build something good in time for inclusion in
Java 7, great. If not, so be it. Primum non nocere.

> About the crying. If you have three-four very serious proposals, developed
> by really smart people, using hundreds of hours of work and you still
> squeeze in a new Sun made proposal in between, what did you expect?

I was involved in one of those proposals, and I'm glad that it (and the
other proposals) are not being adopted by Sun as the basis for this effort.
Starting with a nearly blank slate and a target use-case seems like a
prudent approach.

            Josh