Extension methods and API evolution

Mario Fusco mario.fusco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 04:02:37 PST 2009

I read that, based on the suggestions of Mark Reinhold, you already
discussed (and probably excluded) the possibility to implement this feature
through traits. Said that I'd find this feature really useful, even for
purposes unrelated to lambda expression, I admit that it could be really
hard to be implemented.

Anyway I believe there is another Scala feature that could help to reach
this goal in a more elegant way: implicit type conversion. I am not expert
enough of the internal behaviors of the JVM to say if this feature could be
easily added or not. I suppose it should be a smaller change than traits.
Moreover it could be a feature more strictly related to lambda expression
because the presence of both implicit type conversion and lambda expression
could make the creation of internal DSLs in Java a straightforward task.

I am not following this discussion from the very beginning, so I apologize
if you already evaluated this option.

Cheers
Mario Fusco