Review request for initial lambda functions and utils

Rémi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Tue Aug 9 15:32:25 PDT 2011

On 08/09/2011 10:40 PM, Kevin Bourrillion wrote:
> I really don't understand this,

Let's take an example, Predicates.compose is declared like this:
<A,B> Predicate<A> compose(Predicate<B> predicate, Function<A, ? extends
B> function)

Basically, your signature works in most of the cases because
you rely on the compiler to infer of A and B  but there are some known cases
by example if compose is called as a parameter of another method call
where the inference is not done by the compiler.

If the compiler don't do any inference, the easy workaround
is to provide a type argument for A and for B,
but with your API, it will not work.

void foo(Predicate<String> p) { ... }
Predicate<String> p = ...
Function<Object, String> f = ...
foo(Predicates.compose(p, f))    // doesn't compile, Ok cf Java spec
foo(Predicates.<String,String>compose(p, f))    // doesn't compile too ??

> but I can easily say that your compiler sounds like anything but a
> /typical/ user project, which JDK APIs should be tailored to.

An API should work :)

Rémi