A peek past lambda

Rémi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Fri Aug 19 11:57:02 PDT 2011

On 08/19/2011 07:56 PM, Bob Foster wrote:
> Remi Forax wrote:
>> BTW, Maurizio recently push codes that enables the compiler
> to compile without inner classes.
>
> A step forward for sure!
>
>> For the curious, the current implementation use a j.l.r.Proxy,
> (so don't expect any performance now).
>
> I thought (from the last JVM language summit) that the goal/opportunity was
> to use method handles?

Hi Bob,
the first goal is to use invokedynamic to enable sharing of constant lambdas
and to allow us to switch implementations even after the release of JDK8.

Currently, we know that method handles are slower than generating inner
classes
at runtime. So the idea is to first starts by generating inner classes and
to switch to method handle when it's ready.

Lambdas are slow as hell in C#, I don't want to do the same mistake.

> Bob

Rémi