C/P/N/Q par vs. seq break-even analysis with 10ms think time

Edward Harned edharned at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:51:05 PDT 2012

Hi,

Perhaps you are barking up the wrong tree. You can’t fix something that
isn’t broken.

The framework is not a parallel engine. The framework is not even a
general-purpose application development service.

The framework is an academic experiment underpinning a research paper. It
is performing exactly as designed when used for graph processing of large
aggregate data structures.

That “the execution is dominated by threads wandering around” is the result
of faulty work stealing using a submission queue(s)
http://www.coopsoft.com/ar/CalamityArticle.html#steal
and the inability of threads to find work when the computation is modest.
http://www.coopsoft.com/ar/CalamityArticle.html#less

The excessive thread creation is well documented and is probably the
dooming factor for this framework.
http://www.coopsoft.com/ar/CalamityArticle.html#faulty

Fork/Join is a niche product. F/J simply means to split the work into
fragments and join the results together. You can split the work into
components and let each component execute independently or you can
dynamically decompose the work. In either case, each is still a small niche
product. By itself, F/J is not parallel processing. F/J is just one aspect
of parallel processing. Dynamic decomposition is just one facet of F/J.

What you want for lambda is a parallel engine. Probably something
under-the-covers for API developers only (akin to the Unsafe.class)
Something like Microsoft’s TPL. You need to start at the beginning
designing a parallel engine for general-purpose commercial application
development. An academic-centric niche product just doesn’t cut it.

Using this framework for other its intended use will only reveal its flaws
in ways that embarrass the team.

Ed