Java 8 in a JEE Environment

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Apr 16 07:46:58 PDT 2013

> Paul, what are your thoughts of creating an SPI that allow implementations
> to hook into F/J? I am thinking that the SE API could be used if an EE
> container had a way of participating in the API to create threads.

That's already there.

 From ForkJoinPool doc:

  * <p>The common pool is by default constructed with default
  * parameters, but these may be controlled by setting three
  * {@linkplain System#getProperty system properties}:
  * <ul>
  * <li>{@code java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.common.parallelism}
  * - the parallelism level, a non-negative integer
  * <li>{@code java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.common.threadFactory}
  * - the class name of a {@link ForkJoinWorkerThreadFactory}
  * <li>{@code java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.common.exceptionHandler}
  * - the class name of a {@link UncaughtExceptionHandler}
  * </ul>

Containers can control the pool size, thread factory, and exception
handler for the common pool, which is used by parallel stream
implementations.