RFR: 8001647: In-place methods on Collection/List

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Apr 19 05:29:01 PDT 2013

Hi Akhil,

This is only a partial review so far.

I have some issues with the ConcurrentModificationException strategy.

Taking ArrayList, the basic idea is that you want to detect
modifications that are concurrent with iteration - so the mutators up
the modCount and the iterator functions check to see if the modCount has
changed since the iterator was constructed. So you've then treated the
bulk operations as "iterations" and you check the modCount each time
through the loop. Problem is the modCount is not volatile so in all
likelihood the JIT is going to hoist the check of modCount out of the
loop and it will only be checked once. That's not incorrect as it is
"best effort" detection, but it might be surprising. (Note if existing
iterator methods get inlined the same problem can exist today.) Maybe it
is not worth trying to check this? The reality is that if the ArrayList
is really being modified concurrently - particularly if the size changes
- then you will just get exceptions (NPE, AIOOBE etc) not a nice neat CME.

It's late and I may have overlooked ssomething but in Vector all the
methods are synchronized yet you still check the modCount for changes ??
But it is impossible for anyone to change modCount during a bullk
operation. It is only possible with iteration because a mutating method
in one thread can execute between the separate iterator hasNext()/next()
calls in another thread. So all the CME code can be dropped from the new
bulk methods.

Cheers,
David