Higher kinded types?

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Thu Jan 17 14:57:07 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clarkson at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is surely outside the scope of the lambda effort, though possibly
> would help the lambda effort.  I wondered whether any serious consideration
> has been given to adding higher kinded types to Java...

> I'm not a type wizard but I have a reasonable eye for spec/compiler
> complexity and ambiguities and I would rate this as being simpler to spec,
> implement and understand than Java 5 wildcards, the abandoned idea of
> function types and autoboxing/autounboxing.

openjdk is open-source, so I would think that if you made your suggestion
in the form of a proposed specification along with its implementation,
you'd have something concrete enough to be considered.  Many people might
be concerned about the complexity of the problem, but a simple, concrete
spec and implementation would help alleviate those fears.

I suggest you consider using the JEP process.  Start here: <
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2011-June/001962.html>.

Cheers,
Neal