experience trying out lambda-8-b74

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon Jan 28 04:57:01 PST 2013

On 27/01/2013 20:45, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> One of the problems I have, is an application which can end up with 10's of thousands of files in a single directory.  I tried to get an iterator with call backs or opendir/readdir put into the JDK back in 1.3.1/1.4 to no avail.  I'd real like to have something as simple as opendir/readdir provided as a stream that is effective and non memory intensive.  I currently have to use JNI to do opendir/readdir, and I need to have a count function that used readdir or an appropriate mechanism to see when certain thresholds are passed.
>
> Gregg Wonderly
DirectoryStream is the equivalent of the directory stream that you get
with opendir/readerdir. Use of "Stream" in the name is bit unfortunate
now but it pre-dates the Lambda Streams API. Anyway, as Henry pointed
out, he's got changes coming that allow you get the Stream associated
with a directory stream, also walk and find methods for file trees.

-Alan