Collectors update, bikeshed edition

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Feb 7 19:37:58 PST 2013

On 8/02/2013 1:09 PM, Brian Goetz wrote:
>> So my question is, for people who will learn Java through the
>> primary/traditional channels (is schools, college, university etc),
>> where would they learn the underlying concepts that these API's pertain
>> to? And what terminology are they most likely to encounter there?
>
> Thanks David, for bringing us back to the primary challenge here:
> pedagogical.  Obviously we will do what we can in Javadoc (though
> haven't done so yet), but ultimately this will only scratch the surface.
>   (Just as the Javadoc for JUC only scratched the surface for
> concurrency concepts.  And we all know where that led.)

I may be biased but I think we had the easier job with j.u.c

>> FWIW I would much rather have a name with no obvious meaning than a name
>> that I'm likely to think means something quite different to what it is.
>> (unfortunately that is likely to apply to any verb we might use here.)
>
> Right, so "inject" and "grobulate" are equally good by that metric :)

No, I have various notions of inject/injection - and after reading the
link Joe posted (thanks Joe!) and some references therefrom, the
relationship between inject and actually injecting something seems so
tangential to the real functionality that it is obviously a terrible name.

grobulate I quite like. ;-)

David