explode

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Fri Feb 8 07:47:17 PST 2013

OK, just to put it all down on "paper" where flatMap landed...are we OK
with this?

java.util.stream.FlatMapper:

public interface FlatMapper<T, U> {
     void explodeInto(T element, Consumer<U> sink);

     interface ToInt<T> {
         void explodeInto(T element, IntConsumer sink);
     }

     interface ToLong<T> {
         void explodeInto(T element, LongConsumer sink);
     }

     interface ToDouble<T> {
         void explodeInto(T element, DoubleConsumer sink);
     }

     interface OfIntToInt {
         void explodeInto(int element, IntConsumer sink);
     }

     interface OfLongToLong {
         void explodeInto(long element, LongConsumer sink);
     }

     interface OfDoubleToDouble {
         void explodeInto(double element, DoubleConsumer sink);
     }
}

In Stream:

     <R> Stream<R> flatMap(Function<T, Stream<? extends R>> mapper);

     <R> Stream<R> flatMap(FlatMapper<? super T, R> mapper);

     IntStream flatMap(FlatMapper.ToInt<? super T> mapper);
     LongStream flatMap(FlatMapper.ToLong<? super T> mapper);
     DoubleStream flatMap(FlatMapper.ToDouble<? super T> mapper);

In IntStream (similar for {Double,Long}Stream):

     IntStream flatMap(IntFunction<? extends IntStream> mapper);
     IntStream flatMap(FlatMapper.OfIntToInt mapper);

And Remi wants one more static helper method in FlatMap:

  public static <T, U> FlatMapper<T, U>
  explodeCollection(Function<? super T, ? extends Collection<? extends
U>> function)

I think this wraps up the explosive section of our program?