Loose ends: Optional

Joe Bowbeer joe.bowbeer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 23:11:48 PDT 2013

I'd like to see a compare-and-contrast between what is proposed for Java8
and Guava's Optional and Scala's Option.

Is the criticism that Brian is fielding now a replay of prior criticism of
Guava's Optional?

http://benhutchison.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/a-rant-on-jdroids-and-wilful-ignorance/
http://kerflyn.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/from-optional-to-monad-with-guava/

How have Guava's user been dealing with its intentionally more limited
approach?  Have the new methods added in more recent versions helped?

Optional<V> transform(Function<T,V>)
Iterable<T> presentInstances(Iterable<Optional<T>)
Set<T> asSet()

http://docs.guava-libraries.googlecode.com/git/javadoc/com/google/common/base/Optional.html

Joe