Nulls

Kevin Bourrillion kevinb at google.com
Wed Sep 26 15:13:02 PDT 2012

My teammate Colin and I discussed this some and:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com> wrote:

> Trying again to categorize the choices and identify pros/cons...
>
> Seems like there are four buckets here:
>
> 1.  Ban nulls.  This means that feeding nulls into a Stream MUST produce
> an NPE.

This is more null-hostile than even we'd be comfortable with. Does anyone
actually back this?

2.  Ignore nulls.

imho, way too surprising. Is anyone backing this?

> 3.  Tolerate nulls.  Streams API takes no position on nulls, but may well
> pass elements to less tolerant destinations (e.g., user-provided lambdas,
> user-provided collections, Optional constructor.)  Nulls may cause NPEs in
> these cases.

This is both reasonable and what Guava does.

4.  Embrace nulls.  Ensure that every operation can deal with nulls in a
> well-defined manner.  (This entails, for example, either dropping the
> Optional-bearing methods or making present Optional deal with null.)

I'm not sure what exactly this means when I supply a lambda that can't
handle null. You're saying the NPE thrown by that predicate should be *
caught* and handled somehow?

Kevin Bourrillion | Java Librarian | Google, Inc. | kevinb at google.com