Annotation on lambda formal parameter?

Dan Smith daniel.smith at oracle.com
Thu Dec 13 13:49:39 PST 2012

My understanding is:

1) Java 7 already allows annotations on method parameters (JLS 8.4.1)

2) Explicitly-typed lambdas allow the same annotations as method parameters (Lambda Spec Part B, 15.27 & 15.27.1)

3) Implicitly-typed lambdas do not allow any modifiers, including annotations (Lambda Spec again; also, the design discussions I referenced)

I thought the question was about (3), but maybe it's also about whether we _don't_ want (2)?

(FWIW, I note that exception parameters can have annotations in Java 7.  I can't seem to find the line in the spec that says what kind of ElementType they support, but some reverse engineering tells me they're PARAMETERs, not LOCAL_VARIABLEs.)

—Dan