Serialization opt-in syntax (again)

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Mon Oct 1 21:26:27 PDT 2012

Unfortunately I do not believe the cost is negligible.  One of the downsides of our translation approach is that serialization overhead is higher.  For inner classes, it is just a matter of tagging the class as serializable, which is negligible.  But for our approach, we would have to carry more information in the lambda itself, and the "must be serializable" constraint also rules out several possible metafactory approaches.  Also, in our approach, serializable lambdas require a lot of additional static footprint in the capturing class to deal with the potential security issues.  Also, I believe that serialization really needs to be somethign users opt explicitly into.  Foisting transparent serializaxbility on users seems rude.

Overall I do not see this as a realistic option.