Overload resolution simplification

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Wed Aug 14 14:19:46 PDT 2013

On 14/08/13 20:19, Neal Gafter wrote:
> Maurizio-
>
> Eric is right: the body of a called method is never involved in
> overload resolution.  But that has nothing to do with lambdas.
I think I meant a different thing - i.e. the fact that in C# there's
nothing like this:

<Z> Foo<Z> makeFoo();

Foo<String> fs = makeFoo();

This kind of inference from the target-type doesn't seem to be available
in C#, right?

If that's the case, in the C# equivalent of the following example:

<U> Target<U> someMethodAcceptingASAM(SAM<U> sam)

Target<String> ts = someMethodAcceptingASAM(x-> ... )

Would C# be able to look at the body of the lambda? My understanding
(which can be wrong, of course) is that the String on the RHS can't be
used to unstick the lambda.

Maurizio