rt.jar put on a Proguard diet losses 26 MB

Michael Hall mik3hall at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 14:52:58 PST 2012

On Dec 16, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Jeff Palmer wrote:

> Michael Hall - PKZIP files can have 9 level of compression, or none.  If Oracle builds the library jars with no compression, then my earlier experiment which does not look like it should do anything just compressed the output at whatever level Proguard uses.

What I sent showed uncompressed and compressed zip entry sizes so you should be able to run it against the post-ProGuard jar and see if theres any difference.
It sounds like your space savings is from removing contents? Thats what the Jigsaw project is all about isn't it?

Michael Hall

trz nio.2 for OS X http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#trz

HalfPipe Java 6/7 shell app http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#halfpipe

AppConverter convert Apple jvm to openjdk apps http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#appconverter