RFR 7142950: jdk7u cannot bootstrap Mac OS build [macosx]

Scott Kovatch scott.kovatch at oracle.com
Mon Feb 6 15:21:00 PST 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 2:31 PM, Michael McMahon wrote:

> There are a few problems with the Mac build at the moment.
>
> 1. If SKIP_BOOT_CYCLE=false then the build fails, due to two problems:-
>    1) top level Makefile doesn't know about Mac OS image directory structure
>    2) it also fails due to problem 2. below

> 2. General bootstrapping problem. The build currently cannot use itself as
>    the bootstrap JDK due to an assumption in the framework classes that
>    "os.arch" is x86_64, whereas we currently set it to amd64. The change is to
>    fix that code to expect amd64. There is a related question then about what the
>    correct value for os.arch should be. I'd like to raise this in a separate discussion
>    and hopefully fix these build problems independently of that.

I was going to propose that we fix the image directory issues by building into the image directories the same way on all platforms and have the mac build copy the image directories into j2sdk-bundle. (7133768) I'm pretty sure that even with this change you can't build rt.jar because the jar tool gets moved out from underneath the running build when the bundle is constructed.

I don't think your changes would interfere with my proposed fix for 7133768, though. And, the other changes for generating the folder name dynamically are very much welcome.

-- Scott K.

Scott Kovatch
scott.kovatch at oracle.com
Santa Clara/Pleasanton, CA