os.arch "amd64" or "x86_64"?

Scott Palmer swpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 16:53:54 PST 2012

I am using x86_64 with JDK 6 builds on OS X…  So that is the value that "people are relying on" for the OS X platform, and therefore the value that must be preserved in JDK 7.

The JDK 6 "java" command on OS X mentions this value as well, so it technically isn't even restricted to internal developer details (though most non-developers on OS X would never run "java" from the command line).

>java -?
…
where options include:
    -d32          use a 32-bit data model if available
    -d64          use a 64-bit data model if available (implies -server, only for x86_64)
…

Regards,

Scott P.