Java 7 for Mac OSX

Andrew Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 10:38:35 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Feb 20, 2012, at 3:29 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>
> >> One question:
> >>
> >> By adding 32-bit support, do you mean the binary will be runnable
> >> on a
> >> 32-bit machine? Or, the sources can be built on a 32-bit machine?
> >
> > To me 32 bit support means you could use -d32 flag to have JVM
> > works
> > in a 32bit land, so safe memory in many cases.
>
> Supporting a second architecture effectively doubles the testing
> overhead, and basically doubles the budget you need to spend on QA.
> What is the benefit to Oracle Corp for supporting a legacy
> architecture?

On a more positive note, there's no reason it has to be Oracle who supports
it.  This is supposed to be a FOSS project after all; if you want something,
everything is there for you to make it happen :-)

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07