Bundled app launcher changes

Andrew Thompson lordpixel at mac.com
Mon Feb 20 14:27:40 PST 2012

On Feb 11, 2012, at 1:42 AM, Mike Swingler <swingler at apple.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that the Manifest is a good place to define the classpath, since it cannot be (easily) augmented per-platform, but perhaps others have more experience deploying apps like this, and would offer their opinion if this matters or not.

I'm responsible for creating a build system that has generated a few dozen apps that launch using the Manifest class path. Secondly I also created a plugin system based on parsing the Manifest class path and setting up a URL classloader.

I don't really face cross platform deployment issues so augmenting the class path per platform has never impacted me. I have seen cases where I have wished that I could augment the Manifest class path, something like this

java -jar My.jar -classpath Another.jar

l I see Manifest class path support as a core feature of the Java platform I'd be surprised and disappointed if it didn't work. An ability to augment the Manufest class path would be very useful.