Java 7 for Mac OSX

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Wed Feb 22 09:55:10 PST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> [... explains how few problems with compatibility he had over the
> years...]

Me, too, I had few problems. The only compatibility issue I regularly
encounter is the problem with the different path and directory separators
on Windows (I frequently fix my and other people's code in that respect).

It is really unfortunate, but a truth in this life, that you only hear
back from users when things break.

So let me use this opportunity to thank all the Java developers reading
this: thank you for making it possible to ship just .jar files and having
things Just Work with a single, well-maintained, system-wide JRE.

(A conservative estimate of users for one such application I am involved
in is 100,000. Most likely this is a very conservative number, there are
few biologists working with microscopic data who do not at least
occasionally use ImageJ.)

Thanks,
Johannes