Java 7 for Mac OSX

Scott Kovatch scott.kovatch at oracle.com
Wed Feb 22 10:50:37 PST 2012

On Feb 22, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>
>> [... explains how few problems with compatibility he had over the
>> years...]
>
> Me, too, I had few problems. The only compatibility issue I regularly
> encounter is the problem with the different path and directory separators
> on Windows (I frequently fix my and other people's code in that respect).
>
> It is really unfortunate, but a truth in this life, that you only hear
> back from users when things break.
>
> So let me use this opportunity to thank all the Java developers reading
> this: thank you for making it possible to ship just .jar files and having
> things Just Work with a single, well-maintained, system-wide JRE.

This will continue to work with Java 7, but not in the 7u4 timeframe. For 7u6 we plan to release a Java runtime for end users that will support Java applets, Java Web Start, and double-clickable JAR files. Users will not be required to install a full JDK to run Java applications.

Note that with 7u4 you will still be able to execute 'java -jar <jarfile>' from a Terminal window and it will just work, but double-clicking it from the Finder will use Apple's Java 6.

-- Scott K.