<AWT Dev> [7u6] Review request for 7144542: [macosx] Crash in liblwawt.dylib setBusy() when exiting an FX app run with j2d pipeline

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Tue May 15 09:46:49 PDT 2012

Hi Artem,

On 5/10/2012 2:33 PM, Artem Ananiev wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 6:53 PM, Anthony Petrov wrote:
>> Please review a fix for http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=7144542
>> at:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~anthony/7u6-6-crashInSetBusy-7144542.0/
>
> So what you do is to change headful CToolkit to headless XToolkit,
> correct? Note that this change will also trigger Java2D pipeline change,
> which might not be what we want.

Actually, while performing more testing I've found one issue with the
fix: we must also choose the correct font manager class. Otherwise the
MACOSX_PORT-705 is resurrected. An updated fix is here:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~anthony/7u6-6-crashInSetBusy-7144542.1/

Meanwhile I've performed some performance measurement using the GUIMark2
for FX, and here are some results:

BitmapTest:
    w/o the fix:  ~4.22 FPS
    with the fix: ~4.19 FPS

VectorTest:
    w/o the fix:  ~21.0 FPS
    with the fix: ~21.3 FPS

So it looks like there's no any major performance difference between the
CToolkit and XToolkit Java2D pipelines.

> Have you tried to find out what exactly leads to the crash when CToolkit
> is used?

Since the crash is actually happening in the HotSpot code, it's being
investigated by HotSpot team under 7166725.

--
best regards,
Anthony