macosx-port-dev Digest, Vol 26, Issue 19

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Feb 22 03:19:15 PST 2013

Hello Mike,

> This is correct. Apple is continuing to push developers to embed Java 7 and end users who need command-line tools to install an Oracle JDK.
>
> Unfortunately, for backwards compatibility, we will still have to offer Java SE 6 for applications which link against the JavaVM.framework and do not provide their own Java 7. We are planning to make Java SE 6 a manual download only, and completely remove the install-on-demand experience, even for legacy apps.

is there any chance that you inform developers about when this move is
going to happen? because it will be quite a big thing for people like
Kustaa and ourselves as we are basically in the same position he
described (Oracle knows about issues but they are not fixed and if
JDK6 becomes a manual download before Oracle gets these things fixed
our product will suffer a serious competitive disadvantage as having
to put instructions with required downloads into a product is really,
really unusual for out target group.

We so much _want_ to switch to Oracle's JRE as soon as we can and that
totally depends on known issues to be fixed by Oracle and the only
thing we can do is wait and while I find it totally legitimate of
Apple to push people to using Oracle's JRE, the time seems too early
to leave us without options (other than either having a bad
installation experience or a bad product when it runs). This may
change soon but as of today that is what I see would happen if you
took away the install-on-demand behaviour of JDK6 tomorrow.

Honestly, thanks for listening and your work to help us in this
situation because you do a lot on this list in that regard and
probably even more behind the scenes and we appreciate that, bigtime,

Robert

P.S.: I resent it to the list because the original reply accidentally
only went to Mike.