The Great Startup Problem

Marcus Lagergren marcus.lagergren at oracle.com
Sat Aug 23 13:10:51 UTC 2014

I agree completely with Charlie’s assessment about Lambda Forms being a problematic mechanism for indy call site linking due to its

* Lack of scalability (explosion of byte code)
* Metaspace usage

and everything else that has been described below.

I’m currently recovering after surgery and a bit disoriented and confused, but I’ll try to write a longer reply on Monday or Tuesday.

This post illustrates perfectly to me why it’s important to replace of the LambdaForms as they are currently implemented with something else - probably even latest in the 9 timeframe. This may be a market window of opportunity that is slowly sliding from us. (PM and management might of course have things to say here, but for me this thing keeps bubbling up behind me as soon as I look away. It certainly has the last 12-18 months).

We have identical issues with LambdaForms Nashorn. Some of them can to be solved with AOT, and have been in 8u20, (the second run of any Nashorn application can use a persistent code cache complete with optimizations and known types), but for the first run we have similar issues. Some of the warmup problem can be done by interpreting the JavaScript AST (we currently don’t do that) in a profiling pass, but once we lay out indys we are still going to have the scalability problem you described with just a lowered constant factor. (But who wants to write an interpreter on your interpreter and there’s debugging issues and security issues and such). Also - Interpreters are not particularly known to be fast either. We are exploring various other ways not to have to lay out so many indys at warmup, but I haven’t got enough on my feet to want to talk about it yet.

LambdaForm caching (JEP 210) will at least be a decent band aid for 8u40 (but even then, the problem of profile pollution when reusing a LambdaForm for two different indy callsites is not trivial and has to be solved. I’m not sure it has yet - I know Vladimir is working hard right now on this and is applying his excellent brain to the problem). However, I also don’t think that LambdaForm caching is enough for the long time solution.

We had some discussions how to implement indy call sites without LambdaForms after JVMLS in Santa Clara. Maybe John, Rickard or Vladimir can summarize some of the things we talked about, as I am just a code generation amateur in HotSpot and don’t want to embarrass myself in front of you guys. (Or I’ll post it later, when my head is clearer)

When it comes to putting resources on this, I can only say that I would love for this to happen and think it’s tremendously important for dynamic languages on the JVM.

Regards
Marcus

P.S. I agree with the tiered stuff too, but LambdaForms is the thing that really burns us in the warmup department right now. (and in the Metaspace department. Let’s not forget about that one).

P.P.S. Fredrik’s old post about how we did this in JRockit by inlining the indy callsites is worth a read again. The approach, is, however, probably also subject to some profiling pollution when you think about it. We never got far enough to really suffer from it, but one would expect it would crop up No extra byte code though. No extra classes. No extra metaspace.  (https://blogs.oracle.com/ohrstrom/entry/pulling_a_machine_code_rabbit)… Maybe Fredrik himself can tell us something here? I