RFR : 8182672: Java 8u121 on Linux intermittently returns null for MAC address

Langer, Christoph christoph.langer at sap.com
Thu Jun 22 21:36:55 UTC 2017

Hi Sean,

I played with it a bit more and now really understand Vyoms observation. So, what he sees is not the original concurrency issue but he encounters a SocketException on some interface, where this is supposed to occur upon calling getHardwareAddress().

So, to enable the testcase to run robustly on any platform, any hardware and any network configuration, I suggest to modify the test like this:

1. In main, enumerate all interfaces once
2. Iterate over all interfaces, exlude loopback and see if a single call to getHardwareAddress() won't yield null or an Exception.
3. For each interface where a valid mac address could be obtained once, start the executor threads to stress getHardwareAddress() in parallel, e.g. like 5 threads doing it 100 times in parallel. I would also suggest to use per thread counters instead of one global 'count' as we have right now.

Furthermore, the test output could be improved a bit, e.g. when it comes to an exception, the thread name could be mentioned, too.

Best regards
Christoph