RFR: 8244224: Implementation of JEP 381: Remove the Solaris and SPARC Ports - (core libraries)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon May 4 08:49:08 UTC 2020

On 04/05/2020 06:12, Mikael Vidstedt wrote:
> Please review this change which implements part of JEP 381:

> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mikael/webrevs/8244224/webrev.00/corelibs/open/webrev/
> JEP: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8241787
>

> Note: When reviewing this, please be aware that this exercise was *extremely* mind-numbing, so I appreciate your help reviewing all the individual changes carefully. You may want to get that coffee cup filled up (or whatever keeps you awake)!

I took a pass over the changes. I agree its a bit tedious. I'm sure
there will be a few follow up issues as there are opportunities for
cleanup in several areas. Just a few comments/questions from a first pass.

ExtendedSocketOption.SO_FLOW_SLA is the Solaris specific socket option
that was terminally deprecated in 14. The patch removes the
implementation but leave the API (SO_FLOW_SA and jdk.net.SocketFlow). Do
you want a someone to take a follow-on issue to remove the API?

ResolverConfigurationImpl.localDomain0 can be removed.

The comment on mcast_join_leave in PlainDatagramSocketImpl.c has a
residual reference to Solaris.

JISAutoDetect - might be simpler to just initialize EUCJPName to "EUC_JP".

Socket.setTrafficClass(int) swallows exceptions to workaround strange
behaviour on Solaris. Tracked as JDK-8221487 so okay to leave it to that
issue if you want. There is also cruft in the old plain SocketImpl that
to work around eagerness to report "connection reset errors - I think we
should just leave that because the old socket impl is not used by
default and will be removed at some point.

-Alan.