Support of named attributes in jdk7

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 28 07:42:38 PST 2009

Hi Florian and Alan,

Alan Bateman wrote:

> Florian Weimer wrote:
>> :
>> Will there be a bypass to get to the bytes directly?  The
>> non-addressable names issue on non-Windows platforms is a bit
>> annoying.
>>
> I'm not sure I get the question but when a file name is obtained from
> the file system then we preserve the platform representation (bytes in
> this case) so that it can be used again to access the file. This
> avoids problems we have with java.io.File where the round-trip (bytes
> -> String -> bytes) can mean we can "see" the file (with methods such
> as list or listFiles) but we can't access it because we aren't in the
> right locale. Is this the issue you are thinking about?
>
> -Alan.

Or was the question about system or security attributes,
such as ACL, frequently stored as extended attributes
in a non-user name space ?

My mail was about user-defined attributes, seen from
Java as belonging to class UserDefinedFileAttributeView.

The prefixing/un-prefixing is clearly inappropriate for
system attributes. For those, which are not eligible for
portability across OSes, a different class should be used,
and the original name should be kept, so that a privileged
Java application can get and set them.

Regards

Jean-Pierre