Proposal for adding O_DIRECT support into JDK 9

Brian Burkhalter brian.burkhalter at oracle.com
Mon Aug 28 19:16:49 UTC 2017

Hi Lucy,

On Aug 28, 2017, at 10:32 AM, Lu, Yingqi <yingqi.lu at intel.com> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your feedback! I will modify accordingly and send the webrev.06 here for review shortly.
>
> Couple questions I want to make sure:
> 1.     Regarding to DirectIO test, do you mean uploading the native library into the build? If yes, we can do that for Linux 64bit and MacOS 64bit (from a virtual machine). I will need help from the community to add libraries that support other OSes.

I think Alan means *not* uploading a native library but instead having it built during the build of the test, i.e., dynamically.
> 2.     Could you please provide the line number for the comment below?
> -        FileChannel.read(ByteByffer[])/write(ByteBuffer[]) loop over buffers but they should only do this when direct is true.

FileChannelImpl.java 220-226 and 299-305. I think that lines 216-226 and 295-305 could sit inside if (direct) {…} blocks.

> From: Alan Bateman [mailto:Alan.Bateman at oracle.com]
>
> I think Brian is looking through the tests but one question on DirectIO is whether you place to convert that into a native test that is compiled in the build. It may otherwise get forgotten.

I’ve looked over the tests before but will given them another pass.

Thanks,

Brian